The Walter P. Chrysler Boyhood Home was built in 1889, in typical nineteenth-century, Midwestern style, constructed of white pine clapboard with a cedar shingle roof. The Chrysler family occupied this house from 1889 until 1908.
Many families owned the home until 1952 when Joe Herbert, the Dodge/Plymouth dealer in Ellis, bought the home because it was becoming run down. The Chrysler Corporation purchased it from Herbert and in 1954 the home officially opened as a museum. In 1955, Jack Chrysler, Walter’s son and other Chrysler management came and presented the deed of the home to the city of Ellis. There was a celebration complete with a parade.
| || | A new building was erected behind the home in 1994 to display personal items Walter Chrysler. Walter’s Grandson, Jack Chrysler Jr., Great-Grandson Frank Rhodes, other Chrysler family members and Chrysler management were in attendance for the grand opening of the new Museum.
A 50th Anniversary Celebration took place in 2005 complete with a parade that included over 100 Chrysler products. Many Chrysler family members and Chrysler employees came and participated in the festivities.